Today's theme for the 2011 Blogathon is your top 5 books on writing. Here's my list:
1) Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life, Anne Lamott. You can get a feel for her style by downloading an archived interview from this Writer's Digest link. (Caution: salty language.)
2) Writing Tools: 50 Essential Strategies for Every Writer, Roy Peter Clark
3) Keep It Real: Everything You Need to Know about Researching and Writing Creative Nonfiction, edited by Lee Gutkind
4) Writing Metrical Poetry: Contemporary Lessons for Mastering Traditional Forms, William Baer
5) The Craft of Lyric Writing, Sheila Davis
If you're looking to be a little depressed about your budget, but inspired by commitment, tenacity, and professionalism, check out this video interview of Gay Talese. Finally, if you are interested in writing creative nonfiction, consider an online class at creativenonfiction.org: a satisfying experience.
3 weeks ago