Thursday, May 19, 2011

Chayefsky's Notes on Network

This is a happy day for me, as I spent some time with an interactive feature, The Notes Behind Network.

The best part is the UBS programming grid. It lists shows like Celebrity Canasta, Young Shysters, Pedro and the Putz ... I can only imagine the treatments Chayefsky kept in his head.

His titles would make great prompts, I think.

Beyond the grid, the feature includes a list of Chayefsky's dream cast (Paul Newman!), an apologetic letter to "Walter", and a hand-written letter to himself bemoaning the show's lack of point of view.

I've employed this technique, writing a letter to yourself about what you're writing. I think it's a great tool. I like it even better now.

If you are unfamiliar with Network, and you are not easily offended by language and nudity, you should watch it. Now. You can read about my relationship to the movie in this piece I wrote for Curator Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment