Thursday, May 3, 2012

Thriving

Thrive. It's my word this year. As individuals who are a part of communities, what do we need in our ecosystems to thrive?

the forest and the trees
While I could make a very serious list, today I want to focus on just one thing: playing.

I thrive on play, especially while creating with others. When I go without this, I feel doubly wrong.

Wrong #1, I am a writer. All reports indicate this should make me a lone wolf-type, but here I am, yearning for the pack.

Wrong #2, I am also a theatre-type. Theatre satisfies this need for play, but my location and season of life makes a theatre commitment difficult. I don't regret my life choices, but I love to play. What to do?

Among other things, I drag my friends into story ideas. In My Little Town's two most popular blog posts were written collaboratively. Friends riffed on a Facebook post, and I compiled their answers. Excerpts and links to both are below.

Pomp and Circumstance and Meatballs
(examines the high school graduation open house tradition in Michigan, giving tips and tricks for *success*)

Here's what you can expect if someone invites you to an open house:
  • A high school graduate who looks annoyed at being at his or her own party 
  • A beautifully clean garage with tables full of food 
  • Paint cans, weed whackers, bottles full of motor oil, and other junk crammed into a locked basement 
  • Mystery relatives 
  • Cocktail meatballs in chili sauce and grape jelly 
Read the complete article here, or try ...

(how-to)

You are a rock star soccer mom and kitchen ninja, and it's time to let the world know it. It's time to write your biography blurb.

Not just any biography blurb: the greatest bio in the history of the internet, the one that's going to revolutionize the art and practice of blurbing, the one that's going to catapult you into the rare air of internet darling and employed author. After all, you are a housewife with three kids living outside the most insulted city in the country, faking a basic understanding of SEO and nursing an anemic freelance career. The only thing holding you back is a quality bio.

Continue reading "Write Your Own Bio Blurb" here.

What do you need in your personal ecosystem? How might you thrive?

This month, I've started a professional page for myself on Facebook. From time to time, I'll be cultivating a collaborative piece there. I'd be honored if you liked my page, and I look forward to connecting to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment