Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Gearing up for NaNoWriMo

I am not a novelist. I am not a fiction writer. What on earth am I doing signing up for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month)?

I'd like to claim peer pressure made me do it, but that's not it. It would be fun to say that I've always dreamed of writing the Lesser American Novel, but that's not it either. The concrete goal draws me: 50,000 words in 30 days. The marathon nature intrigues and challenges me. It's not 1334 words a day, it's 1334 linked words, connected words, words disciplined and directed to tell a story that might engage or delight. Being forced to keep going with one idea appeals to me, because I flit about so easily.

Ultimately, I love a good story, and I like to explore ways of telling a story, so why not a novel? 

Come November (the Mo in question), I will be devoting this space to brief thoughts about writing. In these days prior to the race, I plan to get some things in order to prepare for what I predict will be a wild ride. Planning and preparing are not the same as doing, of course, so we shall see and we shall see.

3 comments:

  1. I think that this is a great idea. You are a very good writer and always have been. I brag about you to people here at our church. Your writing and dramatic reading is truly a gift. I'm anxious to be able to read your finished, "published" product some day. I can tell everyone that I knew you before you were famous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I see a lot of folks that I'm connected with online doing this, and I've always thought it would be fun to try, since i have no idea at all how to do it!! I will NOT be doing it this year for sure, since I'm directing a play and adapting another during November, but I can't WAIT to read your posts about the process!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww shucks, Suzie and Tony. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete