Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My house, empty

I'm participating in WordCount Blogathon 2011 (you can see a list of all participants here). Yesterday those interested wrote in response to the theme, "What are your five favorite places to write?" I posted my list, but I'd like to take a little time over the next few days to discuss each place.

I type at this very moment in a full house. Sponge Bob and Patrick loudly help Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy. My little one plays a game that is too much for her. My bigger kids avoid their homework. All this promises that I will be interrupted; I will need to interrupt. I have a moment, but only a moment. I will need to care for my family.

I love to care for my family, but trying to write at the same time doesn't work. I don't write well interrupted or interrupting. I don't care for my family well when I'm uninterruptible.

When empty, my house encases quiet itself. It does not interrupt. It has things that need to be done, but its voice is easily suppressed by a cup of coffee, the 'do not disturb' button on my phone, and dim lighting.

I've discovered that I am capable of ignoring the phone, happiest when the TV is off, love to soak in the quiet and comfort of my own space. My house, empty: it fills me.

No comments:

Post a Comment