Sunday, April 3, 2011

Free

Free, I often say, is my favorite price. It is also a fine condition, as The Soup Dragons recognized in the 1990's.




When you're a kid, 'free to do what you want' is the stuff worthy of a quest. One of my kids was dreaming of freedom. Sadly, the dream eliminated me:

What if we didn't have parents, what if your were dead? the child said with enthusiasm.
You would want that? I asked.
Yes! the child said. Then I could do whatever I wanted.
What would you do? I asked.
Paint the walls, the child said.

A little disconcerting that my little one would string me up for a couple of gallons of Benjamin Moore, but the child will learn of love; and I, for my part, will buy paint.

"You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love." -Galatians 5:13



This is a part of my "a song a day" writing, which do not always occur daily. I'm working on it. Un-naturalism and Rebel Yell came first. For a fictional dialogue on parenting, try A Mom's Burden.

No comments:

Post a Comment